Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Where are you?

The other day my son Chase decided he wasn’t going to do something we told him to. After this he went over to “sit on the stairs” like he often does after doing something that he knows he shouldn’t have. A few minutes passed and I went over to the stairs to talk with him about it, and when he saw me he hid his face and ran up the stairs. While running up the stairs he even did the “mad yell” as I like to call it. 

Not the prettiest sound I’ve heard.

After some more time passed I went up and found him in his bed where he continued to hide his face from me. I reassured him that I still love him and reminded him of all the reasons why he needs to listen to Susie and I. Then I changed the subject and started talking about something else because I wanted him to snap out of it and come back downstairs with the rest of the family.

What was it that caused him to hide his face from me? Why did he run away from me? Did he hide because he was disobedient? Did he hide because he thought I didn’t love him anymore? Did he hide because he thought my ‘rules’ were too burdensome? No. What was it then?

Shame.

It was shame that caused him to hide his face. It was shame that caused him to run away and separate himself from me. I didn’t cause the separation - he did. I didn’t turn away in disgust when he disobeyed me – he turned away from me. On the other hand, it was ME who pursued him – it was ME who initiated the reconciliation.

See, we often teach people that it’s our sin that causes the separation between us and God – kind of like how oil separates itself from water. But that isn’t true. It’s our shame that causes the separation. We run from God, He doesn’t run from us. He doesn’t turn His face in disgust when we sin – He reaches out and follows us. Embraces us. Sin doesn't taint God. He's not scared.

Jesus said, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father”. What did He do around sinners? Did He shake His head in disgust and walk away condemning people? Did He EVER seek to separate Himself from sinners? Did He ever seem worried about getting dirty when He reached out His hand to touch the ‘untouchable’ leper? The prostitutes? The sex addicts? How about the alcoholics?

Nope. Not even once. 

In fact, He pursued the disobedient. He looked for the dirtiest people, knowing He had the only water in the world which could make them clean.

“Where sin abounded, grace abounded much more” – Romans 5:20

You’re not too dirty for God. You never will be. Dirt is a magnet for God’s love.

It’s God’s kindness that causes us to turn around. He runs after us and changes the subject because He wants us to snap out of it, turn around and come back to the family where we are secure in His love. We yell “I’m a sinner!” He yells, “You’re my son!” When we rest securely in His love, our actions conform themselves to His image. Our behavior takes care of itself. Apple trees grow apples, not oranges.

Love never fails. It’s just too irresistible.

Often times those in the church get it backwards. They put the behavior stuff before the love stuff. They expect to get apples without planting any apple trees. Or worse, they just point out all your oranges. If you have been the recipient of this false gospel, I apologize on their behalf. Come back! Turn around. Snap out of it. Bring your dirt. Your Father is waiting with open arms.

“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.” – John 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment