Friday, August 14, 2015

Leaven from Heaven

“Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees...” - Mark 8:15

Leaven (or yeast) is a substance that has a fermenting quality. It has a penetrating or diffusive power to it - a little goes a long way. It spreads particle to particle and causes a little piece of dough to rise up and become bread.


In the Bible, the word leaven is used in both positive and negative ways. For example Jesus used the word leaven to illustrate the growth of the Kingdom of Heaven. He also used it in a negative way like He did in the above verse about the Pharisees. In the Bible it essentially means "way" or "teaching" or "seed".

When I was a teenager I remember having life all figured out. In a way it was kind of fun approaching life with such confidence and pride. There was nothing that could stop me - I knew everything and I had my whole life ahead of me. I was king of my kingdom. I didn't need the advice of my family and friends. I was 'smart' enough to figure life out for myself.

But hundreds (ok, thousands) of mistakes later, I started settling in to reality. If I was king, I was doing a pretty bad job. My best decisions landed me in front of a brick wall. Helpless. Hopeless. Lost. Confused. Powerless.

This is the leaven of the Pharisees - close minded reliance on our own understanding. It is rooted in selfish pride. See, there is a way that seems right to us - a way that seems good. But who's "good" is it? In the words of John Bevere, is it good or is it God?

The thing about deception is that it's deceptive. No one believes they are being deceived until they hit the brick wall.

The leaven of the Pharisees is goodness apart from God. Knowledge without wisdom. Scripture without Spirit. Religion without relationship. Talk with no power or demonstration. Mind knowledge over heart knowledge. Our real ears are the ones attached to our heart - not our heads.

There is a river flowing to the heart of God. We must hop in and trust His rhythm, His flow - the gentle lap of His water flowing in and through us. See, the same hands which knit us together are the hands that lead us. The same breath which called us forth is the same breath which continues to blow. This is the unforced rhythms, the whisper - the true leaven, of our Father God.

No comments:

Post a Comment