Sunday, September 6, 2015

Recalculating

I've normally got all my days planned out pretty well. I wake up, get dressed, work 9 hours, play with my children, talk with my wife, read, and then go to bed. I guess you could say this daily schedule is my sovereign will. It's what I intend to do for the day.

But often times there a lot of interruptions. Some interruptions I am able to ignore. Some are much more, well, interrupting. These kind of interruptions are able to alter the course of my day because they come from those who are relying on me the most - my loved ones. 

For example one time I got a call from my son's school, telling me he had a fever of 103. Without even thinking I got up and completely disregarded the remainder of my daily routine. I had to go pick my son up and be with him. He needed my help.

Another time my wife called me at work saying she was going into labor - my two sons were ready to be born. By the time I got home I think my car was still in Drive as I jumped out. My family needed me. These kind of interruptions are unavoidable. Some are even welcomed.

God is like that too. After all, He made us in His image. He may have some things lined up for the days, years, decades and centuries; but He stops in His tracks when His loved ones call. "The eyes of the LORD search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him" - 2 Chron. 16:9. Much like a GPS, God turns off the intended path and then "recalculates" based on our hearts - our needs - our prayers.

See, God is first relational, then sovereign. Responsive, then organized. Emotional, then assertive. We have the amazing ability to tug on His heart strings.

Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment